Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Women Wrestling... 'Nough said!

Hey readers,

So today I'm posting a review of a very attractive webcomic. Rival Angels combines one of America's most guilty pleasures and one of its most blatant! ;) Wrestling and Women. Alan Evans, the webcomic author has created a webcomic with a small but strong web following. Why does this comic have such a strong fan base you might ask? Let's see. 


That good enough for you boys? These wrestling girls are hot and they kick ass! But that's not all webcomics are about right? Right. There has to be a story and I'm happy to say that this comic actually has one. Now, I'm not a fan of wrestling but I've watched a few matches when I was a kid with my grandpa, who was infatuated with the "sport". So I know a little about it, although it doesn't particularly intrigue me Alan's story was flowing and stimulating , but this webcomic is not exactly the most pristine out there. The artwork is okay, but not great and the dialogue is lacking. At times, mostly when the angels are "girl-talking", the conversation drags and gets to be somewhat arid and forced. This comic is also without humor. Alan makes attempts at jokes, but falls short. I browsed through his comic for over an hour and never laughed............ Not even once, but I guess that's not what Alan is going for. Although, laughter can be a pretty useful tool. I think if Alan threw in some funny quips into the mix every now and then the dialogue might not be so static.

The biggest plus about this comic though, is something that many comic creators fail to do. Alan listens to his fans. The sex appeal in this comic is non-existent which at first I couldn't understand.
 However, once I started to slice through the surface and read the forum posts and comments I found an incredible fan base that was extremely vocal. The fans don't want sex. They want wrestling! The forum was filled with posts about who they wanted to battle next, and character fan clubs. These fans are die hards. So do you put explicitly sexual artwork in your comic or do you keep the story the way the fans want it? I know, tough call, but I think Alan made the right choice by sticking to the story and not alienating his fans. By doing so he has created a mini-culture of fans devoted to a serious story about female wrestlers. 

The rest of the webcomic is okay. Alan provides a forum as I mentioned above which provides a cultivation utensil for his fans. His website layout is okay, but not anything special and the site graphics are mundane. He could stand to spice up his site a bit with some cohesive graphic art and design that pulls together and further cultivates what he is emphasizing: a place where his fans can share with each other...... Okay I feel like I'm being a little harsh. I'm very critical of site graphics and design, and I forget that webcomics take years to develop. I also forget that site cohesiveness is one of the hardest things for comic artists to achieve. So don't take my site critiques too harshly Alan, but when you get the chance try and tackle that website of yours. Ok?

My overall Appraisal of Rival Angels: 75
(score from 0-100)

No comments:

Post a Comment